Friday, April 16, 2010

Breaking Up*

A few weeks ago, I had a dream. I was in a cemetery, and there was graffiti everywhere--all over the gravestones, all over the crypts, the walls. It was beautiful out; the sun was shining and I was in a cemetery and I love cemeteries and I was there with Ian and some of our other friends. The cemetery was a weird cross between those I visited in France and the New England style I have seen in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

We rounded a bend in the pathway, and came across a bit of graffiti (a graffito? what is the singular noun???) that was written in French. It read, "on n'a qu'une vie."

Which means, quite beautifully, quite simply, "we have but one life."


*Song by Rilo Kiley. The lyric "Here's to all the pretty girls you're gonna meet" really needs a postscript of "as long as they aren't as pretty as me." :)

No comments: