Thursday, October 6, 2011

Motivation

I work for an insurance underwriting firm. Now, I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I trust that the insurance agents and underwriters I work with do, so I'm not too worried about it.

I answered the phone at work this afternoon, and the caller asked for someone who will be out of the office for quite some time. When I asked if there was someone else I could connect him to, I followed with,

"What is your question concerning?"

His reply was "Underwriting."

I mean, of course. Underwriting. I should have known.

If there's one thing I've learned in the past few weeks, it's that this in-between time is hard. It is hard to wait patiently, to pay bills in a timely fashion, to work three jobs--not one of which is at all close to what you want to be doing with your life.

But if there's a second thing that I've learned in the past few weeks, it's that working in an insurance underwriting firm can really motivate you to research new career opportunities and PhD schools.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Yep. The first day I started my 'real' post-college job was also the day I drafted my personal statement for grad school. Office jobs are not for me.