Sunday, December 18, 2011

All I Have to Do is Dream

I have teeth dreams. I've heard and read that this is not uncommon--Kili has them, and several of my other friends do, too. Their commonplaceness (commonplacity?) does nothing to make them any less disturbing, however. I have had my teeth crumble to pieces and fall out bit by bit while talking. I have picked slivers of tooth out of my tongue and cheeks, yanking pieces out of my gums. I have been chewing gum, and had it get stuck up around all of my teeth. When I pulled the gum out, my teeth came with it. Most recently, Patrick slapped my face, causing me to lose seven teeth on both sides of my mouth. This is laughable for several reasons, not least of which is the fact that I often wake up from bad dreams in a foul mood, angry at whoever I fought with in my sub-conscious. (Patrick bought me an eggnog latte that morning after breakfast...)

Someone told me once that dreams about your teeth falling out (or crumbling out, or slivering out) are about feeling a lack of control in your life, which wouldn't surprise me in the least. When I do have teeth dreams, now, I try to remember to take a step back, put some Bailey's in my morning coffee, vacuum my carpet, and do some art. Not because I need to clean for company, or because Christmas is coming & my crafts aren't done, but because it's something I want to do.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Oh my god, I hate teeth dreams. I have them far too often.