Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Jetsetting

You know that new movie, Up in the Air? Where George Clooney flies around the country in a business suit and snazzy rolling suitcase, sipping on cocktails in-flight? That's gonna be me.

I fly to Albuquerque today to present a paper at the Southwest Texas Popular Culture Conference. My paper is titled "Once Upon a Not so Unique Time: Reconciling Individualism and Literary Borrowing in Oscar Wilde's 'The Nightingale and the Rose'" and I refuse to bore you with a synopsis. Suffice it to say, I deconstruct structuralist fairytale theory. Still interested? Email me.

I feel so grown up. So professional. So terrified. Oh God, I am terrified.

I just hope I can get through the presentation without passing out. And that no one finds out that I probably don't know anything about Oscar Wilde, or fairytale theory, or deconstruction. Shit shit shit. Can I have one of those in-flight cocktails now, please?

3 comments:

VGabbard said...

yay sister!

Joanne said...

I know you'll be great! And at the very least you'll get out of the frigid Northeast for a teensy bit. Enjoy.

Chelsea said...

You'll be fantastic. Or drunk. Or both. I wouldn't worry too much about it!